on your browser
to print this recipe.
Portuguese Soupas – posted by Greyeagle
Serves 6 (or three hungry lowcarb'ers)
3 1/2 or 4 lb Pot Roast
2 onions - quartered (I cut it back to 1 medium one for LC'ing)
2 cloves of garlic (peeled and smashed a bit)
1 small can Tomato Sauce (I use LC Tomato Paste)
1/2 c white vinegar (wine vinegar might be interesting too)
2 Tbsp. of picking spice (Tie in cheese cloth; discard after cooking)
1. Cut Pot Roast into 1-1 1/2 in. chunks, wash, and put into pot.
2. Cover meat with water and add all other ingredients.
3. Cook 1 1/2 - 2 hrs until very tender. Add water as needed.
1. Place slices of French bread on a place and place a sprig on fresh
peppermint on them.
2. Ladle the Soupas over the bread and peppermint.
NOTE: This was stressed as being very important in serving it in the
traditional style. It tastes very different if served without this step.
Although an LC'er will have to make one omission - the bread. I served
it in a wide soup bowl with the peppermint scattered over the top of the
Soupas sans bread. It was delicious.